Top Advertisement



Reporting and Policy

How does the Advice Centre help?

We're here to listen

The Advice Centre will be here for you should you find yourself, or a friend, a survivor of sexual harassment and we will do our best to understand and point you in the right direction for support. You can visit the advice centre from 10:00am – 4:30pm Monday to Thursday, and 10:00am – 3:00pm Friday. You can also send us an email at to book an appointment or call us on 01484 473446 for advice. If you would prefer, you can take a look at our comprehensive list of Charities or online collection of Self Help Guides.

The Advice Centre will be able to provide you with the following support:

  • Having A Chat - Sometimes you need to get your experience off your chest and we are more than happy to listen to your experiences and offer you support, even if you don’t want to go down a formal, police, or legal route
  • Writing Formal Complaints - Advice Centre staff will be able to assist you in writing a formal complaint if you wish to take this route. We can help you understand the University’s disciplinary procedures and where your complaint will go, giving you a greater understanding of the processes that can take place. All complaints are dealt with in full confidentiality and we will endeavour to assist you to make the decision that would be best for your personal situation
  • Looking For Support - We will be able to refer you to available support groups and systems in the University that we feel would benefit you. These can vary from local charities and associations, to support groups and counselling in the Wellbeing & Disabilities Services. There is a large amount of support available and we can help you find the resources that would be most appropriate and useful
  • Reporting Online - We may refer you to report your issues on the University’s Report & Support system. We believe that anti-social behaviour is never okay - All students can report their experience and seek confidential advice whilst working out their next step. More information regarding this can be found further down the page
  • Reporting To The Police - In certain circumstances, we will suggest speaking to Laura Jackson (campus Police Officer) about what you have brought up to us but all decisions are entirely yours to make. We will not disclose anything you do not feel comfortable with us disclosing to the police. More information regarding this can be found further down the page


How can I report my issues to the University?

Report & Support

Recently, the University has released the new online Report & Support tool to help students both report their concerns and find support for them. You can report anonymously, or make reports with personal details. You will be given the option speak to an Advisor when you make a complaint with personal details (not anonymously).

This new tool makes report accessible and safe for all members of the University, as the Student Services Team at the University of Huddersfield will maintain full confidentiality of the information you provide. Any anonymous information given will only be used for monitoring and analysis to improve our available support.

You can use this tool to report hate crimes, bullying, sexual violence, harassment, physical abuse, discrimination, intimidation, and anything else that has made you feel unsafe on campus.

Information on the Students Union’s Zero Tolerance Policy can be found here. The Equality Act 2010 prohibits harassment related to age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.

Details about the University’s Disciplinary Procedure can be found here, with Disciplinary Rules available here.


How can I report my issues to the police?

On Campus

Laura Jackson is the Safer Student Officer at the University Of Huddersfield whose role is to keep you safe by offering crime prevention advice and safety tips either on a one-to-one basis or in groups. She is also available for questioning regarding reporting your abuse to the police and can support you through any reports that you feel comfortable making. Laura is a highly trusted member of staff on campus and for the last 8 years, she has worked in Huddersfield and the wider Kirklees area.

We do encourage you to report any suspicious activity/concerns to Laura, no matter how small, as she welcomes such reports to maintain a safe community. Her working days are Monday to Friday, 8.00am-4.00pm and her office is in the Atrium, Schwann Building. She can be contacted at

In the case of an emergency, you should always call 999. You can also call 101 to make reports or enquiries about your experience.