It's a greay time of year to pick up a book, so one our Postgrad students, Margaux, has put together this amazing list of books you can get stuck into this season.
• The Sandman – Neil Gaiman (both a comic and an audiobook)
A collection of stories about ‘The Sandman’ in various settings, some myth based, some more gothic, some bordering horror.
• Circe – Madeline Miller
Historical fantasy retelling of the Greek myth of Circe!
• Star wars from a certain point of view – Various authors
An anthology of Star Wars stories!
• Autonomous – Annalee Newitz
A book on cyberpunk, freedom and piracy. (Also by an NB author!)
• NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and How to Think Smarter About People Who Think Differently - Steve Silberman.
A history of autism/advocacy/different perspectives.
• Thrawn (2017) – Timothy Zahn
Probably my favourite book of the year. A Star Wars book suitable for people who like Star Wars but aren’t super into it; it’s describing the background of one of the minor characters who is separate from the films. Also some interesting points on ethics 😊
• Invisible women - Caroline Criado Perez
A book on datascience and how a lot of data excludes women; it explains how this is harmful, not just to women but to society as a whole. A very datascience-based perspective on 21st century gender issues (often also taking into account the economic/financial price tag that comes with it).
• The Quincunx – Charles Palliser
A historical epic, set in 19th century England with some serious Dickens vibes. In essence 5 books about an inheritance for which people murder and cheat and do a lot of generally shady business.
• Cemetery Boys – Aiden Thomas
A young Latino boy/man set to prove his worth to his family summons a ghost, but it’s the wrong one. He has to help the ghost to make sure he can go into the afterlife. Very spooky.
• Betrayal of Angels - Armin Shimerman
“007-equivalent in Elizabethan England teaming up with Shakespeare to kick ass”. ‘Meticulous history mashed with theatrical fantasy’
• Sputnik Sweetheart – Haruki Murakami
Will you be picking any of these up? Thanks Margaux for sharing this list with us - happy reading!
More Huddersfield Students' Union Articles